According to information in "A History of the City of Warsaw
" the first brick building in Warsaw was built in 1849 on the southwest corner of Center and Buffalo Streets by George Moon and William Cosgrove, both future mayors of Warsaw. A brief history of the building and businesses
on this corner for over a century.
In the early 1900s, this was the site of the F.P. Bradway and Son grocery store. It is the three-story, light-colored building at the bottom center.
At that time, Dr. Ernest Van Osdol operated his dental office on the second floor. (The dentist's sign can barely be seen in the upper left corner.)
That structure was razed in 1913 so a new three-story brick building could be constructed for the Indiana Loan & Trust Company. The eagle atop the building signifies that the third floor was used for a time by the Fraternal Order of Eagles.
The view below is looking north from the southeast corner of Buffalo and Market Streets (circa 1940). The narrow two-story brick building in the foreground is the Saine building which was built in 1877 by Allan Saine. Before First National Bank expanded, there were a number of storefronts in the Saine and middle buildings, including a drug store, jewelry store, and men's clothing store. A barbershop was located in the basement of the bank building for a number of years.
First National Bank of Warsaw opened its doors in this building in 1937. It underwent a major renovation in 1961 and received a new facade. Due to continued growth, the bank acquired the building to the south in 1966 for expansion. This photo shows the bus sponsored by FNB that shuttled people for free from downtown to the county fair.
First National Bank occupied the building from 1937 until 1998 when it was acquired by National City Corporation. The last tenant was PNC Bank, which relocated to W. Market Street in June 2010.
Learn more about Warsaw's history.