- Get automatic timers for your lights at home. Remember to set them at different times. Make sure to try them the day before you leave, just to make sure they are set properly.
- Ask a neighbor to watch your home, shovel snow, and park in the driveway from time to time. Have them set one of their trash cans out as if yours on pickup day.
- Don't forget to have mail and newspapers picked up by a neighbor, or delivery stopped. It is especially important that neighbors pick up flyers and pamphlets that are not sent by regular mail
- Don't leave holiday packages where they can be seen.
- When you arrive at your destination, even if a hotel room, make sure to use the same safety tips as you do at home.
- Make sure your cellular telephone is in working order in case of emergency.
- Make sure your vehicle is in good running order.
- Pack a survival kit for emergencies -- blanket, candles, radio, non-perishable food, bottled water, games for children. Keep the kit in your vehicle throughout the winter months.