- Do not leave children alone in vehicles.
- Make sure that children are aware of your plans and that you pick a place to meet inside the mall if you are separated.
- Make sure children know your rules about telling strangers of your family's plans for the holidays, such as travel plans.
- Make sure that small children know their name, address and a telephone number to contact a parent if an emergency arises.
- If during the holidays, children are to be left home alone with they are out of school, make sure that they are ready for the responsibility of being alone.
- Set house rules and make sure the children understand them and feel safe with them. Be sure to include visitors to the home while you are gone.
- Make sure that a trusted neighbor knows children are alone and what your rules are.