- Shop before dark if possible, and with a friend. Park only in well-lighted parking lots.
- Lock your packages and gifts in your vehicle's trunk. Keep your vehicle's doors locked and windows closed.
- Avoid carrying large sums of money. Pay for purchases with a check, credit card, or debit card when possible.
- To discourage purse-snatches, don't overburden yourself with packages. Have your purchases delivered whenever practical.
- Be extra careful with purses and wallets. Carry only what you need, and put it in a pocket.
- Teach children to go to a store clerk or police officer and ask for help if you become separated. They should never go into the parking lot alone. Identity a place inside the mall to meet if you become separated.
- Make sure to purchase age-appropriate gifts for children.
- If you shop on-line, make sure to use good judgment. Use only one credit card for all such purchases, and make sure to keep a record of your purchases and check them against the credit statement when it arrives. Do not use this card for any other types of purchases. Keep the credit limit on the card low.