Security on the Street
Safety on Foot
- Stay in well-lighted, busy areas. Avoid walking alone and avoid known trouble spots.
- When you carry a purse, hold it close to your body rather than by the handles. Do not wrap purse straps around your wrist, because you can get hurt in a struggle.
- Carry only what you need in a purse or wallet, not everything you have.
- Avoid using shortcuts through dark alleys, fields, or vacant lots.
- If you think you're being followed, cross the street and change directions a few times. Go quickly to a well-lighted place with lots of people. Do not go home. You don't want an attacker to know where you live.
Safety On Wheels
- Keep your car in good running condition.
- Always roll up the windows and lock car doors.
- Avoid parking in isolated areas. Be especially alert in lots and underground parking garages.
- Don't pick up hitchhikers.
- If you think someone is following you, don't head home. Drive to the nearest police or fire station, gas station, or other open business to get help.