Security in an apartment building is as effective as you make it. Don't leave it entirely up to the superintendent of the building or the police. By following these suggestions, you can make the building a safer place in which to live:
- Report suspicious persons to the building superintendent and/or police.
- When the buzzer rings, check the identity of the caller before opening the door. Refer unknown persons to the Apartment Manager or Apartment Security.
- Do not identify yourself as a female living alone - use only your initials on the building directory.
- Secure sliding doors on the balcony with "jimmy bars."
- Use more than one lock on the door.
- Use peepholes, door wedges and smoke alarms.