Click to Home
Go To Search
HomePrintEmailRSS
FacebookTwitter
ealertsOff.jpg
History of the Airport
The Warsaw Municipal Airport, which is located approximately 3 miles north of the City of Warsaw, owes its existence to many farsighted citizens.  On April 3, 1945, Thomas Mitchell deeded 17.30 acres of land to the Warsaw Chamber of Commerce.  On September 18, 1945, John Stevens deeded 59 acres of land to the Chamber of Commerce and John Teghtmeyer deeded 40 acres of land to the Chamber of Commerce.

Recognizing the importance of aviation to the development of Warsaw, the Common Council on February 18, 1946, passed Ordinance No. 170 establishing the Warsaw Board of Aviation Commissioners, as prescribed by the Airport Act of 1945.  On June 5, 1947, the Chamber of Commerce deeded the above-mentioned parcels of land to the City of Warsaw, creating what was then known as the Warsaw Memorial Airport.

In 1948, a 2400' x 75' N-S aggregate runway and taxiway were constructed under the old FAAP program (Federal Aviation Administration Program).  In 1951, a seal coat was applied to the N-S runway and taxiway, and aircraft apron and automobile parking areas were constructed, both under a second FAAP project.  An FAAP project initiated in 1959 provided for additional land acquisition and the subsequent extension of the existing runway to 3600'.  In the same project, the parallel taxiway was widened to 30' and the runway threshold was displaced 400' on the north end.  A homemade lighting system provided lighting for aircraft desiring to use the airport at night.

On October 8, 1960, the airport was designated as Parker Field in a resolution passed by the Common Council of Warsaw, to honor Earl W. Parker who was a tireless worker in his efforts to promote an airport for Warsaw.  On May 21, 1962, City Ordinance No. 407 was passed preventing non-conforming land use or hazards from interfering with the safe operation of the airport within specified approach zones.

In 1963, plans and financing were completed for the construction of the administration building.  An FAAP project initiated in 1968 provided for additional land acquisition and extended the runway and parallel taxiway to 4300'.  An FAAP project in 1969 replaced the homemade lighting system with a Medium Intensity Runway Lighting System and replaced the old rotating beacon with a 36" rotating beacon on a 51' tower.  In 1977, a Remote Relay Site was installed to enable pilots to communicate with Fort Wayne approach control while still on the ground.

The Warsaw Municipal Airport is unusual in the large amounts of local improvements done entirely by the communitya fact indicating the willingness and desire that Warsaw had to see its airport improve.  In early 1970, the City of Warsaw lengthened the runway and parallel taxiway approximately 700' to the final length of 4975' and later created displaced thresholds on each end of the runway approximately 700'.

Airport of the Year
In October 2006, the Aviation Association of Indiana selected the Warsaw Municipal Airport as AIRPORT OF THE YEAR.  The award included a cash grant in the amount of $1,000 to be given to an eligible 501(c) community organization of the airport's choosing.  The Airport Board designated the Scholarship Gift Fund of Chapter 1109 of the Experimental Aircraft Association as the grant recipient.


City Hall  |  102 S. Buffalo Street  |  Warsaw, IN 46580
Privacy Policy  |  Terms & Conditions  |  Accessibility  |  Copyright Notice  |  Using Renewable Energy  |  Powered by CivicPlus