Click to Home
Go To Search
HomePrintEmailRSS
FacebookTwitter
ealertsOff.jpg
Cemetery History

Warsaw's early burial site was about two acres southeast of the center of town near a tamarack swamp.  The property was deeded to the town in 1848 by Richard L. Britton for the purpose of providing a public burying ground.

That small plat of ground became overcrowded, and in 1874 the Town of Warsaw purchased what is now known as Oakwood Cemetery on the east shore of Pike Lake for $2,000 from Dr. Jacob Boss.  Coincidentally, Dr. Boss was the first person buried in Oakwood Cemetery on August 6, 1874.

Entrance of Oakwood Cemetery 1907
Entrance of Oakwood Cemetery in 1907

 Oakwood Entrance Today
Entrance of Oakwood Cemetery Today



City Hall  |  102 S. Buffalo Street  |  Warsaw, IN 46580
Privacy Policy  |  Terms & Conditions  |  Accessibility  |  Copyright Notice  |  Using Renewable Energy  |  Powered by CivicPlus